Tuesday 13 October 2009

My First Review of Green Day, Jet, and Arctic Monkeys.

This is Rizalinium speaking from the calm mind of the wounded. Nothing beats a laze around and listening to music. Music is part of Life. It intertwines with the soul which alters the mood of ones' person. To be terse and concise, I just want to do a review of certain albums i just bought and heard via Youtube. First, i just bought Green Days' new album, 21st Century Breakdown.. It's the best matured album yet from them. Back when they were crazy-ass band singing abot drugs and masturbation, now they sing with a cause. They sing about the flaws of how we live and how we control the world. My favourite songs in this album are Viva la Gloria (both song titles) , Peacemaker, and Last of the American Girls. 21 Guns is much more melodic, meaningful and really tells the real life of the youngsters nowadays in the U.S.A. The Viva La Gloria songs are just catchy and I always sing them if I get absent-minded or being random. Peacemaker is my favourite song in this album. No offense to the other songs, I enjoyed all the songs in this album, just wanna tell yu about my fav songs in it. The album has 3 acts: Act I, Act II, and Act III, with 18 songs in it. It a bit long but shorter than American Idiot. The singles that came out prior to the release of the album, Know your enemy and 21 Guns, for me is just an OK. Know Your Enemy is a bit too simple for me. They just repeat the same lyrics and I find it a bit boring. If they did it like before, by making a fast -paced song as their first single, then It will be a blast for their sales. Props to them when they won the Best Rock Video in the VMA's. It was a touching video and i lkie the imagery of two people kissing in the crossfire. They are still the master of videos. Because there are alot of songs in this album I cannot review it one by one. So, you have to listen to it to have your own comment. Overall, I enjoyed the album very much, go out, but the album, you'll love it.
Second, The much awaited album from Jet, called Shaka Rock, which I do not know what Shaka means (must be an Australian slang I guess). Bouncing back from a bit dissapointed sophomore album, Shine On, which emphasises on the Cester Brothers' passing away of their beloved father, didn't get the fans hyped up. From the mellow tunes in Shine On, Shaka Rock delivers a much more raw music and what they did in their first album, Get Born. Garage Rock, their type of music is much heard in this album. Along with it, it has that Beatle -type song like La Di Da and Goodbye Hollywood, which has that wavy, trancy voice almost like McCartney in Yellow Submarine. The 1st single, She's a Genius, is what I've been waiting for. This song is what makes Jet so popular. Then, K.I.A (Killed In Action), the opening song, is also a great song. The balance between sft and loud is evenly balanced as they do not want to make the same mistake like Shine On, where the songs were either too soft or too loud. Here, The melody and rhythm is great, it's so soothing yet it wants to make you headbang at the same time. They relive the late 80's/early 90's rock kind of feel. Overall, Great album , also a must buy. Check it out!
Lastly, The third album also by the Arctic Monkeys, Humbug. I was really surprised to listen to this album. It's just different than the two albums which I love dearly because of the witty, sarcastic lyrics and banging melodies. Then, came out Crying Lightning. I was like,"Who the hell is that guy? Is this really the Monkeys?" They grew their hair, sang slow songs and Alex really sang, not just like rapping and mumbling. However, the change brought something goodto them. Versatility. I think they have stressed the importance of lyrics and song, so they changed their old ways to give it more meaning. i haven't bought the album, but I listened to some of the songs like Crying Lightning, Potion Approaching and Fire and the Thud. Two out of the three sounds good, but I feel like Potion Approaching sounds Nirvana-esque, like Very Ape, and it was a bit distorted, i think to show it is raw but it feel sjumbled and messy. Not a great song but the other two, I liked it. This is only my early assumption on the album, the album is freaking expensive, like RM59.90. The cover is so simple. It doesn't use hard plastic, just cardboard and the CD in it. They only have like 11 songs, I guess. However, many people like the new album and support the change, so, I guess it is a good album. but I still like the old Monkeys, Maybe it is for the greater good, like Butterfingers turning to Malay songs, or when they did the Malayneum album, the same case like Arctic Monkeys. So, it isworth listening to them, but I highly recommend you to listen it in Youtube, because the album is just too expensive.
OK. that is it I guess, hope you like my review. I rarely do these things, but I feel happy doing for other artist or groups. Please leave a comment if you want me to review other albums, I'll be glad to do it. With a catch, I only listen to International English Songs, Malay songs, no...
So, I'll just back off for you to read this and hope you like it. I'll be writing soon if I have ideas what to write. Sallaam and goodbye...

No comments: